There are a number of reasons why I decided to take on this project. My first reason has to do with my interest in birds. This began shortly after moving to Victoria ten and a half years ago. With our house backing onto a wooded area, the chirping of birds is a familiar sound all year long. I often glance out the window to see birds of all forms in the yard throughout the day. Frequently I will pull out the Birds of Victoria or Birds of North America reference guides we have on hand. Unfortunately, the drawings in the first aren’t overly helpful for identification and the number of entries in the second is overwhelming. My second reason has to do with a photography course I took a number of years ago. Since that time I have been trying to think of a practical reason to buy a new camera. Taking pictures of birds requires a powerful zoom lens which my previous point-and-shoot camera could not accommodate. Perfect! My final reason was my desire to take on a new project to welcome in 2011. Hence, bird of the day was born.



Monday, March 21, 2011

Pacific Wren (formerly Winter Wren)

Troglodytes pacificus

Appearance:
Very small songbird
Dark brown upperparts
Buffy-brown breast
Buff eyebrows
Wings and tail barred with black
Short tail, frequently held upright
Short, thin bill

Listen to its song.


This little bird was playing hide-and-seek with me on the grounds of Goward House. I initially saw it out of the corner of my eye as it darted about on the forest floor. I would have lost sight of it had it not started singing energetically. (Their songs have about 36 notes per second on average). Having caught my attention, the bird immediately hid under a pile of brush leading me to search about for it.  I was about to give up hope of finding it and was moving down the path when the bird darted out of its hiding place and began singing again. As before, I approached with my camera raised only to have it dart back into hiding. This went on for quite some time. I swear it was playing some sort of game with me.

 
  









Learn more about the Pacific Wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment